Minor Hockey Moments

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sizing up minor hockey

Interesting thoughts today from Toronto Maple Leafs assistant captain Mike Komisarek on his size difference being a factor in making a hit on Colorado Avalanche Mark Olver look worse than it was intended to be.
He tells the Toronto Star, "I hit the guy, I thought the puck was there. I thought it was pretty good time. The only thing that might have hurt me was the height difference ... I go in and have my elbow to my body and try to get my shoulder to his chest. If that's not a clean hit then I don't know what is."
His comments follow the hit by Boston Bruins captain Zdeno Chara, the biggest guy in the NHL, in Montreal.
It begs the question, should minor hockey be organized according to body size and ability, not birth dates, especially during the early years of checking?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scream at the ref by leaving your comments here. But remember, the kids are listening and learning.