Minor Hockey Moments

Friday, December 10, 2010

Teens like to watch

So I'm sitting in my $187 seat at the Air Canada Centre watching a battle of the titans - the Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Edmonton Oilers. Of course, the Oilers smacked the Leafs 5-0, leaving fans with their Phil of futility.
To my right were two grumpy old men, apparently season ticket holders, who reminded me of Waldorf and Statler from Sesame Street. Their main heckle target was the Leafs great new hope, Nazem Kadri of London. My attempt to defend Nazem, a fellow Londoner, only met with more venom.
To my left were two teens wearing Maple Leafs jerseys cheering with reckless abandon, drinking the Maple Leafs Kool Aid. Because of their all-in enthusiasm for the game, I took them for minor hockey players. But when I joked the Leafs could use them, they told me they didn't play hockey. They play basketball.
Last night, I was with my hockey-playing son at the local major junior game at the John Labatt Centre watching the Knights play the Guelph Storm. The family next to us included a teen fan - who plays football.
It made me wonder. What's wrong with hockey that teens love to watch it, but don't want to play themselves? Is it the culture of some minor hockey organizations, the cost or the fact that other youth sports offer better value?
Just asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scream at the ref by leaving your comments here. But remember, the kids are listening and learning.