Minor Hockey Moments

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tips for photographing minor hockey

The Globe and Mail  has an excellent article about photographing minor hockey.
As I can attest, it's impossible to get NHL quality shots at community rinks, but that doesn't stop people like me from trying. I like to park myself near the net and find the cleanest, least scratched spot to shoot through the plexiglass.
Initial results usually are poor and need to be manipulated, improving exposure and cropping - which is so much easier to do in the age of digital photography.
For three years, I've assembled the shots and put them to music on DVDs for the kids as a sort of season yearbook. Last year, I might've been a little excessive with the length of the DVD (22 minutes!), but I wanted to be sure everyone was included.
Since it was the last year of competitive hockey for some players, I asked all parents to provide photos from their son's early years in hockey and showed the evolution from 7 to 17. We debut the DVDs at the end-of-season party and then give everyone copies - which likely languish in drawers for years until someone gets a nostalgic pang.
The theme for this year's DVD will be our huge trek to a tournament in Franklin, TN., near Nashville next week.
Photos are posted game-by-game at the bottom of this blog and anyone can have them by following the photos to Photobucket. I've told people from opposing teams in our league to have a look and help themselves.
For parents interested in shooting their kids, I recommend reading the Globe article - and the comments that follow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scream at the ref by leaving your comments here. But remember, the kids are listening and learning.